Sherline EMC2 system hanging

Discussion of post processors for various CNC machines

Sherline EMC2 system hanging

Postby DanH » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Hello All,

I am a complete newb that is using a Sherline 3-axis mill and trying to output a nc or ngc file with meshcam. The archaic free version worked just fine so I thought I'd give the trial a shot. I am using the most updated build (37) and am having a slight problem getting the program to kick out the proper gcode. After I open the file with the Sherline Mill Inch emc2 program and try to run it, the program hangs up on running but does nothing. I've attached a bit of the code in case anyone would mind taking a quick look at the starting lines to see where I go wrong. I apologize if this has been addressed, I looked around but didn't find an answer. Thanks in advanced!

%
(FILENAME: sphere.nc)
(STOCK/BLOCK, 1.000, 1.000, 1.250, -0.000, 1.000, 1.250)
(TOOL/MILL,0.1250,0,0.2000,0.0)
M6 T1
G0X0.000Y0.000Z0.100
G0X1.000Y-0.900
G1Z-0.080F5.0
G1Z-0.080F5.0
X0.000
Y-0.800
X1.000
Y-0.700
X0.672
X0.656Z-0.073
DanH

Re: Sherline EMC2 system hanging

Postby Randy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:53 am

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forum. It has been several years since I had my Sherline mill, and when I did I used TurboCNC to drive it, so I'm not familiar with Sherline's own controller. But that said, the gcode you posted is just plain vanilla gcode. The M6 T1 line just says that you are using tool 1 and the rest are simple motion commands.

I output some gcode using both the Sherline-EMC2-inch and EMC2-inch postprocessors and there are few differences, other than the non-Sherline EMC2 gcode is better commented, and there is an M3 S4000 line that says to turn on the spindle at 4000 rpm (just the settings my Toolpath Parameters called for).

On your Sherline, does the software control the spindle, or do you turn it on and set the speed by hand? If so, the M3 line would be irrelevant. [EDIT: I had installed one of Peter Homann's DigiSpeed boards in my Sherline spindle controller, and controlled it by gcode. [/EDIT]

When you say the "program hangs up on running but does nothing" does it literally do nothing at all, or does it attempt to move and stalls? Are there any error messages that come up on the EMC2 software screen?

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby DanH » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the quick reply! The control for the spindle speed is manual as you likely suspected. I attempted to remove that line of code and was still having the same problem. The program reads "running" but the stepper motors did not even attempt to move. No errors pop up for this, though I had not let it run for the estimated 22 minutes that it would have taken to finish the project. After unplugging the driver box and a full reinstall, the code worked without hiccup though. I guess it was just a driver problem? Thanks for the help!
DanH

Postby Blake » Mon May 05, 2014 6:00 am

Hey guys,
I too am using Meshcam to output my .ngc files for use with my Sherline controlled with EMC2, and I seem to be encountering the same issue. My system controls normally in manual and even runs some of the preloaded programs that came preinstalled, but simply says "running" when I try to run my Meshcam toolpath. The code Meshcam put out looks exactly the same as Dan H's.....quite frustrating! I can't find this addressed anywhere else but here, and I would love to get some insight before bothering Sherline with what may be an ignorant mistake. Thanks in advance,

Blake
Blake

Postby Randy » Tue May 06, 2014 7:19 pm

Hello Blake, and welcome to the forum. As I said in my answer to Dan, there isn't anything at all exotic about the gcode produced, just say what the tool is and move it around. I wonder though, whether the Sherline controller might not like the (blahblahblah) comment lines, even though () are valid comment delimiters in LinuxCNC (current name for EMC2). You might try removing them using a text editor and see if it makes any difference.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Blake » Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Hey Randy, thanks for the quick reply. I've tried taking out the "blah" style notes as well as removing useless (in my case) spindle governing M-codes and there still seems to be a disconnect somewhere. I figured at first that it must be a glitch within meshcam but im beginning to think that it really must be some kind of technical anomaly on the driver side of things. I know DanH said he played with the driver box and did a full reinstall on his and it worked but i didn't want to void my warranty or anything, so, I've got a tech support request into sherline and i'll post my fix here. Strange I couldn't find this anywhere else online.

Thanks!
Blake

Postby johnl2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:58 am

Hey all, I am new also and am having the same exact problem. But I've been dealing with it for awhile. I noticed that the g code works fine when I take the M6 out. Other than that, I cannot figure out why it won't work with any M6 command. I set up my tool table and everything but it will not run. It says it's running, but there are no movements on any of the axis. Does anybody have any information on this at all? I hear something about an M6 macro but I have no idea what that is or what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. . .
johnl2

Postby Randy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:12 am

Hi johnl2, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for the delay in replying. Could you attach or embed a chunk of your gcode that is not working? Like from the beginning to after the M6 command and a few lines after? I'm not really familiar with EMC2/Linux CNC but it does not seem violently different than the controllers I've used (DOS and now Windows based) Maybe something will show up when we look it through.

Randy
Randy

Return to Post Processors