getting estimate tool time into the gcode comments

Discussion of post processors for various CNC machines

getting estimate tool time into the gcode comments

Postby John » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:13 am

Hi

Is there a way to put the estimated toolpath time into the comments of the gcode? My interest is for the emc2 one, but I suspect other people might also be interested.

thanks

John
John

Re: getting estimate tool time into the gcode comments

Postby Randy » Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 am

Not that I know of, John. There isn't a variable listed in the help section on the postprocessor that has anything to do with the estimated time. I'd suggest emailing Robert at the MeshCAM support email address and asking him to include that.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby jeffD » Mon May 02, 2011 3:29 pm

John,

I don't know how to do it either. Do remember that the estimated time is a rather rough number, no acceleration compensation for your machine. You can open the g-code file with a dumb text editor and add a comment line with the reported time. Personally I just figure about an hour per meg of g-code. Not accurate but close enough. :)

jeffD
I have no financial interests in MeshCam. Nothing I say here has had any approval from MC. Any errors or omissions are mine alone. Use at your own risk.
jeffD

Postby cnczane » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

What I just now did was to make pencil marks with times noted aligned with the parallel-finish rows every so often.

"No matter what," those marks will say, "THIS is what MY machine could do with this model."

It will function as a large grain of salt for any time estimates with similar models.
--
David
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Postby cnczane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 pm

cnczane wrote:What I just now did was to make pencil marks, with a Real Pencil btw, with times noted aligned with the parallel-finish rows every so often.

But that's lame. I discovered in LinuxCNC, what I use, that one can define one's own "G-code" command, so I created one, M144, called like this:
M144 P<modelnumber.fraction> Q[0|1]
which I then told LxCNC, somehow (I forgot) to execute by calling a simple Linux shell script to get the system time and store it in a log file, named after the model number.

For example:
M144 P303.031 Q0
creates a file M303.031.log (or similar, I forget)
and stores a line like:
START time hh:mm:ss
and M144 P303.031 Q1
appends a line like this to the same file:
STOP time hh:mm:ss

I still have to edit the file and, worse, calculate the elapsed time, but the times are EXACTLY how long between M144 commands.

BTW, the fractional part of the model number ".031" tells me this is the finish pass (1) of the 3rd iteration of model 303. 303.03 is the logfile for roughing times.
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Return to Post Processors