Photos of Marine1.PNG

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Photos of Marine1.PNG

Postby AdPrinter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Robert,
My Daughter finally brought camera home. Here are two views of the Marine1.PNG carved into Laminated Oak
(Recycled Tractor-Trailer flooring). MC Art carved the basic shape, but all details including the feathers of the eagle, surface definition of the ropes, texture on the face of the anchor, and land masses on the globe were done by hand using a Dremel tool with a diamond bit.
The finished piece measures X=8" Y=9" Z=1" (approximately). I think that with a smaller cutter (maybe 1/32" endmill) that MC Art could handle all details EXCEPT the land masses on the face of the globe. Obviously, attempts to include the land masses in the toolpath, would generate a distorted globe face which more closely resembles land masses which have been squashed into the face of a marshmallow! So, such items are still left to the realm of hand-carvings. Since I don't have very good tooling to work with, I use the Dremel on practically everything I carve with MC Art (mostly as a SANDER to clean up the steps in the carving).
I have not yet tried to generate a waterline or pencil cleanup path on this type of carving. (Perhaps MC Art could operate the sanding phase, using the diamond bit from the Dremel). What are your thoughts on this possibility? (Since the total cut time for this piece was over 8 hours for just the roughing, with 1/8" bit, and finishing X pass only with a 1/16" bit)?
Enjoy! -Michael
MarinesV1.png
1st view of carving
MarinesV1.png (762.54 KiB) Viewed 6957 times
MarinesV2.png
2nd view of carving
MarinesV2.png (799.99 KiB) Viewed 6957 times
Marines1.png
Marines1.PNG art file
Marines1.png (21.83 KiB) Viewed 6957 times
AdPrinter

Re: Photos of Marine1.PNG

Postby AdPrinter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:28 pm

P.S. the "bits" used for this piece were 1/8" flat end mill, and 1/16" flat end mill respectively.
-Michael
AdPrinter

Postby Randy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Michael, that is beautiful work! About the landmass, I have an idea to try this evening and if Art works anything like regular MC it should be possible for you to carve the outlines with MC.

Later that same night...

Michael, I've put a posting in the main MeshCAM Art section. I don't want to highjack your thread here.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby johnwest12 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Micheal, this is amazing work i am really impressed with your work, i need some guidance from you bcoz m also intrested in making these type of art works. your reply would be highly appreciated
Last edited by Randy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove commercial signature
johnwest12

Postby AdPrinter » Sun May 24, 2015 7:48 am

10988267_10203082533822698_6185357321009701021_n.jpg
Went to facebook and grabbed the image file
10988267_10203082533822698_6185357321009701021_n.jpg (134.71 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
Sorry I've not been on here in quite a while. As far as "guidance", you might find it easier to read the article I wrote in Digital Machinist Magazine. I think it was published in the Winter 2014 edition. "Digital Sculpting" was the title. The process does get rather complex, my latest carving (actually the fifth ATTEMPT) was a human skull. I have been wanting to try and sculpt a face, but as yet, haven't tried that. I figured that if I could successfully carve the "Frame" of a face (the skull), I might have the basics down to actually do a face. As it happens, I just purged my hard drive of all photo files which had almost filled the drive, so I don't have a photo of it handy to upload. However, you can view the photo on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/michael.hobgood.3

Later,
-Michael
AdPrinter

Postby KOC62 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi, Adprinter.

I enjoyed your work, and read a few of your past posts. What prompted me to sign up here (1st post) is that I also have CorelDraw (ver X6) and MeshCAM 4 but have not realized that they can work together, as you have done. I'm uncertain as to what software package I should get to start carving 3D relief type woodwork. I looked at Aspire but it's too expensive for me right now. I also have TurboCAD Platinum that I haven't mastered but found out it does not do parametric modelling - thus more complicated to use for 3D relief art.

I have a homebuilt mdf CNC router with an approximate cutting area of 20" X 40" and recently replaced my z-axis with a cncrouter_parts z-axis. I'm still in the process of finalizing the adjustments and tweaks so I can use my CNC to carve things.

Could you elaborate some more on how your workflow gets a CorelDraw png file into MeshCAM and produce a 3D relief output? I did try a CorelDraw dxf export but MeshCAM4 said it wasn't enclosed - or something like that. I think that MeshCAM wants a 3D version and CorelDraw creates a 2D DXF file.

Thanks,

Peter.
KOC62

Postby AdPrinter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:55 am

Hi Peter!
Sorry for the delayed response, but I just don't get on the computer as often as I used to. The DXF file export of Corel you mentioned, does not work with MeshCam because it is not compatible with the AutoCad release 12 format MeshCam uses. If you are working with Mach 3, as your machine driver, perhaps you also purchased the advanced version of LazyCam Pro. I mention this, because seeing that you are working with Corel Draw, here is what I do as a work-around for the DXF file export's lack of compatibility: Draw the desired part in Corel Draw, at the desired size. Then use the File, Export, command, selecting the Hewlett Packard Graphics Language (PLT) as the export file format. This will preserve the drawing's actual size, with no scaling, so that it can be imported into LazyCam for tool path creation. When launching LazyCam, choose the File Import option, and scroll down the list, to select the HPGL *.PLT file format. The drawing can be imported in your choice of measurement units (Pels, or Inches). Personally, I always choose "Inches" to make things simple. It is important to note, that LazyCAM is a permanent beta version of software. And no future developments will be done. While it is possible to scale drawings imported into LazyCAM, there are no options to change the aspect ratio of imported drawings. LazyCAM is a very basic Cam program, but works well for 2D profile cuts.
Now, as for MeshCAM Art, Corel Draw works great, for creating the desired artwork to be edited in MeshCAM Art into a 3D relief. That is, Once you are able to wrap your head around the extensive color options available in Corel Draw! MC Art can work with up to 32 colors. Corel can produce MILLIONS of colors! So obviously, a method of controlling the number of colors used to create a drawing is necessary. This is an item, which I still struggle with comprehending at times. And the many interface options possible in Corel Draw serve as a major source of confusion. Therefore, I cannot recall the exact settings I use to export the artwork (at least not without navigating thru the many menus of Corel Draw, while also attempting to write this response). But here is what I do know: File format should be set to Portable Network Graphics (PNG), Transparent Background should be turned OFF, (unchecked) Interlace should also be turned OFF (unchecked) and the colors used should be set to RGB (as opposed to Corel Draw's default setting of Process Color).
This last item, is where the confusion comes in. Color Management, is a strength (and a weakness) of Corel Draw's use as a graphics design program. As it can be very helpful in the printing trades industry to do things like output image files for color separations in process, or spot color formats to produce the actual printing plates, or screens needed to print a job on a commercial printing press, or screen printer. The confusion starts, as soon as you begin to alter ANY of the default settings in Corel Draw. (Because Corel Draw attempts to "learn" your preferences, and will default to the last settings used, each and EVERY time you launch the program!) So, unfortunately - getting the settings just right for use as a MeshCAM Art design program does require quite a bit of "Trial and Error". However, once you (finally) get the colors set up right in Corel Draw, it really is an awesome program for creating the artwork needed for MeshCAM Art. Hope this helps! -Mike
AdPrinter

Return to Gallery