soft robots from "softrobot"

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

soft robots from "softrobot"

Postby softrobot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Some pieces that I made using meshcam art! Randy thanks again for the help on the other post in the "general" section and cheers on having a nice product to talk about and explore together. Hey so all of the previous work in this area has been done with 3d printing. I dont have a 3d printer, I have a shapeoko so am obviously going this route and am happy to for now. I have a 1/16" mill I am going to bust out to try to make more intricate air channels/ smaller pieces. The material acted a little funny once when I tried to do that but I will definitely try again... -Frank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmFRGn7B ... ature=plcp
softrobot

Re: soft robots from "softrobot"

Postby robgrz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 am

Very cool Frank. I saw the videos before of the parts being cut out and I had no idea when you were attempting.

I look forward to seeing what they look like with another round of testing.

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby softrobot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:16 pm

still having fun with it, progress is slow, there are some tricky parts to the casting process. Here is the latest, definitely short of an absolute triumph but enjoy! I am still of the definite opinion that Meshcam Art is awesome for this!! The only thing I really would like is a "notes" entry box on the tools menu of the toolpath generator. I could click on each tool and remember exactly which material/job type that tool (and its feed rate settings etc.) applied for. (I have also been cutting some delrin). Cheers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqwJ4ydn ... e=youtu.be
softrobot

Postby robgrz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Look like some good progress. The last time you posted a video it cause me to blow the next 30 minutes watching other inflatable robots on Youtube.

How are you attaching the thin membrane on top? Is that just another layer of silicone?

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby softrobot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:21 am

yes that thin most flexible layer is called "ecoflex 30" and the other more rigid light blue layer is called "mold star".
So far I have been casting ecoflex and then trying to submerge that piece very shallowly into another mold filled with a tiny layer of mold star. But even if its a small layer there have been some clogging problems as that liquid stuff makes its way up into the air channels of the ecoflex before it cures. I am next going to try to find ways around that but might just make more problems trying to solve others :-)
softrobot

Postby softrobot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Alright then, attaching a quick pic of a good claw finally! All fingers activating, pretty clean work, with minor problems of course but its going to work out. Cheers on the software, great stuff, good luck to you in your projects everybody!
Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 10.55.28 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 10.55.28 AM.png (208.15 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
softrobot

Return to Gallery