Carve went ok. How to finish?

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Carve went ok. How to finish?

Postby sirkossorg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Hello All,

So I carved this in pine, to test my DIY. Must say, I'm a fan of MeshCam so far.

I'm not much of a woodworker (yet), so I don't know how to stain/seal/finish it. I've read about people having issues with bleeding and what-not.

If anybody has advice on finishing a pine relief, I'd appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Chris
Attachments
Boys cropped 2.jpg
Boys cropped 2.jpg (88.8 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Last edited by sirkossorg on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirkossorg

Re: Carve went ok. How to finish?

Postby jeffD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Chris,

Nice work. Crawl around your local hardware/paint store. Stain is pretty easy, pick a colour you like. Sealing is harder. boiled linseed oil works well without adding thickness. Polyurethanes work better, come with a choice of gloss finishes but do add some thickness. All sorts of other shelac and varnish products. Take your piece in and ask. Ya might luck out and get a good clerk :D

jeffD
I have no financial interests in MeshCam. Nothing I say here has had any approval from MC. Any errors or omissions are mine alone. Use at your own risk.
jeffD

Postby sirkossorg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the advice!

Chris
sirkossorg

Postby sirkossorg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 am

I heard cutting Corian and backlighting had a cool effect, so I tried it with the same picture. Worked out pretty well. The original pic could probably use a little more color editing, but not bad.

I'm loving me some Meshcam Art. It has made CNC an even more addicting hobby. Already starting on my second machine.

Chris
Attachments
Boys Litho cropped.jpg
Boys Litho cropped.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
sirkossorg

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Lithophane! I love those. Very nice, Chris.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby jeffD » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Chris,

Very nice.
It as really good to see someone realize that halving cutting time is not a matter of tweaking numbers to get that last bit of IPM but to just build a second mill for double the speed. I am slightly conservative but have no qualms about cheating :mrgreen:

jeffD
I have no financial interests in MeshCam. Nothing I say here has had any approval from MC. Any errors or omissions are mine alone. Use at your own risk.
jeffD

Postby sirkossorg » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 am

jeffD wrote:Chris,

Very nice.
It as really good to see someone realize that halving cutting time is not a matter of tweaking numbers to get that last bit of IPM but to just build a second mill for double the speed. I am slightly conservative but have no qualms about cheating :mrgreen:

jeffD

If you saw my machine, you'd understand. This one was built as a proof of concept and we named it the Bumblebee, because it should never be able to fly.

Besides, why have one when you can have two for three times the price? Am I right?

Chris
sirkossorg

Postby Randy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:55 am

Chris, you have the right attitude. :) I have seen your postings on CNCZone. Might you post about your new machine there? I have never built a machine totally from scratch yet, so I applaud you!

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby sirkossorg » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 am

Randy wrote:Chris, you have the right attitude. :) I have seen your postings on CNCZone. Might you post about your new machine there? I have never built a machine totally from scratch yet, so I applaud you!

Randy

Randy,

You are too kind.

I don't believe I'll be doing a log of my new machine. There are way smarter people than me building WAY prettier machines than mine will be. What matters to me is what it can do, and that it's CHEAP.

Chris
sirkossorg

Postby jeffD » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Chris,

Just a pic would be appreciated. My ugly dirt cheap scratch built mill is more accurate but slower than the fancy $$ Taig. No $$ and go really cheap, more $$ and tax deduct it quick. :mrgreen:

I'd love to see if you have made something even more ugly. Somewhere on my site
< http://users.gmavt.net/jdemand/mill.html > is a pic of the cheap mill

jeffD
jeffD

Next

Return to Gallery