Vector Mask

General MeshCAM Art Questions

Vector Mask

Postby MWilson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:27 am

VectorMaskissu.png
VectorMaskissu.png (358.38 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
I have wanted to use vector masks for blocking machining regions via a dxf file import. I am trying this now and am not able to move the vector mask to the right location... I must be missing a step?
MWilson

Re: Vector Mask

Postby ArchieF » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Since your program zero is in the bottom left corner the x/y origin of your dxf import file must be in bottom left corner too.
Looks to me like they are different.

The geometry and imported maching regions use the same origin.

Richard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Postby MWilson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi Richard,

I just changed the program zero to the middle and then imported mask. It appeared in the same location... any other thoughts?
MWilson

Postby ArchieF » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Did you change the origin of your DXF file in your CAD program to the same location you use in MeshCAM ?

Richard

4 GB RAM

ArchieF

Postby MWilson » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:46 am

I created DXF in Illustrator from the same file I made my bmp from (same size) for MeshCAM... are you an illustrator user. I am not sure how to set an origin site.

Monica
MWilson

Postby Randy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:43 am

Monica, try this. Import your geometry, leave the stock "shrink wrapped" to the geometry, import the mask DXF, then enlarge the stock to what you actually want, optionally move the program zero. I did this with a test file and the DXF stayed aligned to the geometry. Richard is correct, once you bring in the DXF you can't move it.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby MWilson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:15 am

Thanks for testing your idea Randy, but I walked through the process again (using Adobe Illustrator) taking the bitmap and the vector mask from the same file, adding the mask through the Set Machine Regions panel before changing my stock size, and continue to see the imported mask shifted off of my model.... I haven't found an origin position in Illustrator. Frustrating.
MWilson

Postby ArchieF » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Monica,

I have Illustrator CS2 V12.0.0 running. Perhaps I can open your *.ai file if you are willing to upload ?

Richard

4 GB RAM

ArchieF

Postby aimeusdietger » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:26 pm

MWilson wrote:
VectorMaskissu.png
I have wanted to use vector masks for blocking machining regions via a dxf file import. get Ultra Heavy Duty Drawer slides today! | visit glissiere telescopique forte charge here | love what Texas County GIS Data does | get more furniture storage auckland info I am trying this now and am not able to move the vector mask to the right location...more about how to get rid of anxiety attacks naturally here | useful content on how to stop panic attacks forever I must be missing a step?

I remember having the same issue once. I kept changing the position zero then importing the mask with the hopes 0of changing the alignment but it never worked until I found out that once the DXF is brought in then it can't be changed. I didn't understand the permanence of the issue at the time so, i opted to start the whole thing over just to avoid the frustration.
aimeusdietger

Return to General