[SOLVED] Bas-relief portraits? Anyone succeeded?

General MeshCAM Art Questions

Re: Bas-relief portraits? Anyone succeeded?

Postby cnczane » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:21 pm

I intended to post a link to this article on "structured light" (once called "striped light"):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQ0fj3q8XKAhUisoMKHSPBDSYQFggqMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FStructured-light_3D_scanner&usg=AFQjCNEsvk2Xd-YlWFhNt3Mz5uY1ck2ctA&sig2=bwu06YRWmsabhEPl-Ej4DQ

The approach is about 20 years old, but your mention of drawing and filling in curves made me think back to considering how they might be generated for you by some optical system.

It would leave you with the, formidable, task of parsing the contours out of the photo, but it's somethin'.

The article actually contains this link to a DIY project:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-3D-scanner-based-on-structured-light-and-stere/

A down side here is the use of two cameras, but there are a number of other attempts to be found.
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Postby AdPrinter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:56 am

Sorry, David. I just clicked on the link myself (which took me to a facebook log-in page).
I guess you have to have a facebook account, before you can view the pics. It's a bit over my head, too.
So I guess I will have to just upload a few pics here.
Sculpture.png
Second facial sculpture attempt
Sculpture.png (103.7 KiB) Viewed 968 times

Skulls.png
Two of the five attempts of a Human Skull
Skulls.png (119.43 KiB) Viewed 968 times
AdPrinter

Postby cnczane » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Oh, my!

I believe I understand you to mean that you are estimating both contour lines for flat photos and guessing at heights to associate with each of them as a starting point for MeshCAM Art.

You certainly have the touch!

Having seen these, I am afraid I cannot agree with your wife that her likeness would be anything less than appealing in one of your final results.

(Oh, please, please, Please, let the second one not supposed to be her. If it is, let me say I have never seen finer bone structure.)

Me on the other hand... my likeness is best rendered as a rough pine plank. And thick.

Thank you for sharing these here. And again for the gracious explanation of your approach and methods.

A couple of years back I stumbled on "3-views" (front, side, plan), which have long been used to communicate 3D information among scale modelers. I took one of those plans and created and aligned the three 2D views in FreeCAD and then extruded them through each other, and finally took an Boolean intersection (fancy term, esp. since I used "an", for the solid model created where all three extrusions met). I was disappointed (because I am slow as well as ugly) that the result was not perfect, but it would have been "editable" in the hands of someone proficient in, say, Blender or SolidWorks which I still am not, beyond being able to spell them.

I've recently remembered the exercise and think now about doing it with a huming-bean's head.

Cheers!
--
David, the CNC Zane
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Re: [SOLVED] Bas-relief portraits? Anyone succeeded?

Postby cnczane » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:54 pm

Actually, Michael, studying your work and reply prompted me to mark the thread "SOLVED."

Indeed. You have succeeded in using MeshCAM Art to create bas-relief portraits.

Continued good success!
-
C.Z.
cnczane

Postby AdPrinter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:10 pm

I wrote an article in the Winter Edition of 2013 for Digital Machinist Magazine, describing in great detail the process. However, the subject in that article was a photo of a turkey. Since delving into sculpting faces from a photo, I have written another article, and submitted it to the Magazine for publishing. I just sent it yesterday, and the Editor said that he had several articles he needed to catch up on. But promised he would review mine as soon as possible. So, I can't go into much more detail on the process, than I have already described (I could really use the money, if they decide to publish the article- they have a requirement, that the article submitted is exclusive to their Magazine). So, if I get a "No" answer, I will probably make it available here. We'll just have to wait an see. Thanks for all the comments! Have a blessed day!
-Michael
AdPrinter

Postby cnczane » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Regarding my reference to experimenting with "3-views" above, I stumbled over this serendipitously (GRZforum's spell-check knows 'serendipitously?' Impressive...):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsiGgR9HVJQ

One of several which shows how to use free software "anim8tor" frin anim8tor.com to make a model from 2 orthogonal pictures of an object. (Don't be put off by the crudeness of his result: it's a direct result of his decision to limit the amount of time he devoted to the project.
--
See the Zee
cnczane

Previous

Return to General