Show me How to drill -2 (continue)

General MeshCAM Art Questions

Show me How to drill -2 (continue)

Postby Kiyoshi Yoshii » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:44 am

Please show me how to set up for the drilling.
Version of my MeshCAM Art is Build45 11/20/2013.

I will add preconditions.
It is in the case that I input to the MeshCAM JPG files that are made to correspond to the chromatic-luminosity high-low of the object.
Then, for example, I want a hole in 2mmΦ using mills 2mmΦ.

Best regards
Kiyoshi Yoshii

Re: Show me How to drill -2 (continue)

Postby Randy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:10 am

Kiyoshi, hello and welcome to the forum. (I deleted your first drilling question, becuase your new question contained all the same information).

I have never tried drilling using a JPG as input for drilling. If I understand correctly, say white (255 grayscale) is the top of your part, black (0 grayscale) is the bottom of your part, and you have circles reprenting the holes of different depths (maybe 60 grayscale, 100 grayscale, 200 grayscale for different depths)? If so, I will need to do some experiments and report back.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Kiyoshi Yoshii » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 am

Also in my case,
white (255 grayscale) is the top of my part, black (0 grayscale) is the bottom of my part.

then, for example,
I need holes 2.0mmΦ of bottom depth.

I draw circle 2.0mmΦ in black. I use endmill 2.0mmΦ.
In this case, hole 2.0mmΦ does not be drilled.

If I draw large circle more than 2.0mmΦ,
hole is drilled and large more than 2.0mmΦ.

I need holes 2.0mmΦ of bottom depth, using 2.0mm endmill.

How should I do? Help me please.
Kiyoshi Yoshii

Postby Randy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 am

Kiyoshi, it appears that you cannot do drilling at this time with a JPG input.

I created a 1600 x 1600 pixel white square, and drew some 80-pixel black circles on it and saved it as "holes.jpg". I imported to MeshCAM (build 45) and told MeshCAM to scale it to 40 x 40 x 10 mm size, with Black is Z-. This makes the holes 2mm diameter.

Unfortunately, the drilling and hole capping menus are grayed out (unavailable):

JPG_no_drilling.jpg
JPG_no_drilling.jpg (130.34 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

Then I tried "save as STL", quit MC and restarted, and loaded the "holes.stl" file. Now the drilling menu is not grayed out, but MeshCAM freezes when I choose drilling.

I have emailed Robert to ask about this and will let you know his reply.

In the meantime, could you draw your part in CAD and import as a DXF and extrude it? Hole drilling works with DXF input, but that would only be with flat-top parts.

Randy
Attachments
holes.jpg
holes.jpg (23.48 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Kiyoshi Yoshii » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am

Hi,Randy

I thank you for your examination.
Because the flat-top part is not sufficient for me, I will wait for the next reply.

K.yoshii

Kiyoshi Yoshii

Postby Randy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Kiyoshi, here is Robert's reply:

The drilling command should not even run on an image file. I detect holes by looking for rings of sharp edges ( the same edges that are drawn in grey in the 3d view. Since those are not valid on a bitmap, the command cannot function. There’s no workaround for this right now.

But for simple drilling you can hand-write a small gcode program yourself which will run in Mach3.
Code: Select all
G00 Z cccc
F nnn
G81 X nnnn Y nnnn Z nnnn R nnnn
G81 X nnnn Y nnnn
. . .
G81 X nnnn Y nnnn
G80
G0 Zcccc
M30

"Z cccc" is the clearance height
"F nnn" is the feedrate
"X nnnn Y nnnn" are the coordinates of the hole
"Z nnnn" is the depth of the hole (absolute Z level relative to your origin). If origin at top of your part, this will be a negative number. If origin is at the bottom of your part, this will be a positive number
"R nnnn" is also the clearance height

The G81 tells Mach to use its built-in drilling routine. You only give the depth on the first G81. Add another G81 line for each hole you want to drill. G80 cancels the drilling routine. M30 is "program end"

MeshCAM's drilling capability is very nice, and automatically recognizes holes of different depths (and starting at different heights), but I usually use little programs like the above because they are simpler for me in drilling on flat surfaces.

Randy
Randy

Postby Kiyoshi Yoshii » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 am

I appreciate the quick response of you. But I am a little disappointed.

I do not have a way of aligning exactly
the position of the holes in the shape JPG file and
the position of the holes in the G-code data programmed separately.
Method shown by you are beyond my skill level.

As an improved method of MeshCAM,
Would you consider such as the following method?
MeshCAM do drilling by detecting the brightness and shape indicating the depth and diameter of the hole drawn at the position of the hole of the JPG file, and also, by detecting the determined hole-mark "for exanple + mark" drawn at the position of the hole-center of the JPG file.

Best regards
Kiyoshi Yoshii

Postby ArchieF » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 am

Hi Kiyoshi,

why do you use jpg files ?

No dxf or stl file to work with or upload for better understanding why you use jpg files?

Richard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Postby Kiyoshi Yoshii » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:24 am

The reason I use for input of MeshCAM a jpg file is as follows.

I can not use the 3D CAD, take too long time to learn it.
So, I draw a planar shape in 2D CAD, and output to 2D dxf file it.

Then add color brightness corresponding to the high-low parts using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2.
File that can be Expot from Paint Shop is jpg file etc.

It is a situation like this.

Kiyoshi
Kiyoshi Yoshii

Postby Randy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:11 am

Kiyoshi, that is perfect then. You are drawing your CAD to a specific size including the circles where the holes will go? Then, separately from your JPG (which I assume you import and scale to be the same size as your CAD), import the DXF itself into MeshCAM and tell MeshCAM to make it the same thickness as your JPG-solid. Then you can use MeshCAM's drilling. Yes, the holes will start up in the air because the DXF-solid is flat, but they will be the correct depth at the bottom. Just make sure that the Machine Origin is on the same corner on both solids.

Randy
Randy

Next

Return to General