Toolbox Organizer

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Toolbox Organizer

Postby Scott » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:22 am

This is one of my first projects with MeshCam. This is a gift, Just in time for Christmas.

insert_after_mill.JPG
Toolbox Insert
insert_after_mill.JPG (53.88 KiB) Viewed 6261 times

before_after.JPG
Before and After Picture
before_after.JPG (43.11 KiB) Viewed 6261 times

The same number of tools are in the before and after pictures.

Scott
Scott

Re: Toolbox Organizer

Postby Randy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:22 am

Scott, that is cool. You made someone a great gift. That is something that I'd normally think of as a 2.5D project--the modeling alone must have taken a good bit of time. Could you explain your MC procedure please?

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Scott » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:27 am

I used Pro/ENGINEER to do the modeling and initially was generating G-code with Pro/E but my cutting time was really high. I had purchased MeshCAM for projects that were native STL format but once I tried MeshCAM with a Pro/E STL export I realized that I would save so much time that it was worth the small hit in model accuracy from the export to STL.

Once I imported into MeshCAM I would use the region select tool and cut out groups of features using rough milling followed by one of the finish pass techniques and a pencil cleanup.

I think I used every available type of finish pass except "Cut X then Y" at some point during this project. There is a lot of variety in the geometry for this part (concave, convex, flat and sloped flat surfaces) I even did a little engraving (initials JDS barely visible in the picture) using the pencil cleanup option.

This project took a long time because I didn't have access to the tools all of the time. I borrowed them for a short time an took measurements and pictures then I did the modeling and cut a test part for final fitting. After a few tweeks I cut the final part.

Scott
Scott

Postby boltz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:56 pm

I've suspected Meshcam could be used this way, but this is the first example I've seen. Did you import DXF masks to target the toolpaths?

Nice to have Pro-E available for design!

I've been starting to mill similar sections of softwood lumber recently and seen a lot of warpage after cutting. Did you have to re-true the bottom?

-Jim Hart
Attachments
warp9.jpg
warp9.jpg (185.83 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
boltz

Postby Scott » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Did you import DXF masks to target the toolpaths?

No, I didn't import DXF masks to target the toolpaths, I just created random polygons in MeshCAM. I will have to try the DXF mask import. It never even occured to me to export a DXF from Pro/E as a mask.

I've been starting to mill similar sections of softwood lumber recently and seen a lot of warpage after cutting. Did you have to re-true the bottom?

Thankfully I didn't see any noticable warpage after cutting.

Scott
Scott

Return to Gallery