My First mega detail part

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

My First mega detail part

Postby gumby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 am

I just wanted to send in an image of a part I ran on my home brew CNC machine. I am very impressed with this software, it's ease of use and the beautiful detail at extremely small tolerances I have been able to achieve. This is an image of my first attempt at uber-detail.

[Moderator note: Gumby's image was hosted at Imageshack and is 404 (does not exist) as of June 2014.]

Thanks,

Gumby
gumby

Re: My First mega detail part

Postby jeffD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Gumby,

Very good job !! I think that you will continue to appreciate MC. I've used it for years for very fine detail work and have even been known to try to break it :mrgreen:

Short lived success with the breaking, Robert always fixes bugs rather quickly.

jeffD
I have no financial interests in MeshCam. Nothing I say here has had any approval from MC. Any errors or omissions are mine alone. Use at your own risk.
jeffD

Postby robgrz » Sat May 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Very nice Gumby. What kind of tool and stepover did you use?

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby ijhammo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 pm

I cant see any picture in the post - was it removed?
ijhammo

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 am

Hi ijhammo, and welcome to the forum. Yes, I've added a note that Gumby's image is 404. I checked at archive.org and they don't have an archived copy either.

I did a little digging and found the pic was a part of a Cain cyborg model from Robocop 2. The forum thread was http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/viewtopic.php?&t=57 (look for Gumby's posts in that thread--almost all the pictures are gone, and the few surviving seem to be parts he had rapid-prototyped).

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby ijhammo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:19 am

Hi Randy

Many thanks for taking the time to do that - very much appreciated!

The parts I will (hopefully)be making are very small so i am interested in detail levels. What started out as something to compliment my model making hobby has turned in to a hobby all of its own!

At the moment I am struggling to work out cpt for the tiny mill bits i will need to be using (1mm and smaller)

Cheers

Ian
ijhammo

Postby Randy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Ian, my pleasure. I'm not sure what "cpt" is, but maybe we can move a discussion of machining strategies into the main section of the forum. For highly-contoured parts with details, I find it helps to 3D rough with a ball-end mill. The closer you can come to the finished contour during roughing, the better. Also see my post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1160&p=2622#p2622 where I describe my "semi-finishing" technique that leaves a constant-thickness skin on the geometry so the actual finishing cut has less variable material to deal with. I'll define a phantom cutter that is .005" or .010" (say, .13 to .25mm) larger in radius to give that much "skin" when I really don't want variable cutter deflection.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby ijhammo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:32 am

Hi Randy,

I have started a new thread in General on the chipload per tooth topic so its in the right place :D

http://grzforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15337&sid=fc1c7d34e8b692afcbde82f73cecb257

See you over there!

Ian
ijhammo

Return to Gallery