Custom/DIY Dust Skirt for Stepcraft CNC Machine

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Custom/DIY Dust Skirt for Stepcraft CNC Machine

Postby Doug » Sat May 20, 2017 1:45 am

I haven't made much more progress on my guitar build project because I just haven't had the time.

However, I have been making a DIY dust shoe which would prevent me having to stand over the machine as it cuts and manually vacuum away the swarf, spoil or sawdust. I completed this over the last few days and tested it this afternoon on a fresh piece of ebony with optimised toolpaths and using the correct cutters for each toolpath (6 mm flat nose for the roughing and 6 mm ball nose for the finishing toolpaths respectively). I realise that this is only peripherally related to MeshCAM but I have taken the view that I will just repeat posts I have made on several other forums and social media sites I post on (Red Special guitar, Stepcraft CNC, Stepcraft Crafters' Club Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) as they might be of interest to some folks in the general scheme of CAD/CAM/CNC.

Anyway, it took less than an hour's work to cut, radius, drill the marker dot holes and glue in the mother of pearl marker dots. I used the CNC machine to 'rough' cut the fretboard to 6.6-6.7 mm thick at the crown ready for final radius sanding with a StewMac aluminium radiusing beam to 1/4" (6.35 mm).

All went quite well except for a couple of issues:

1. It's slightly too wide to allow the X axis to home so I had to home the machine first then attach the dust skirt later.

2. It built up static electricity which caused a discharge (not visible or audible on this video) which caused the toolpath to stop on one occasion and lose Y steps only on the other. :oops:

I seem to recall from high school physics lessons that rubbing Perspex/acrylic or ebony rod caused a build up of static electricity so maybe ebony is the problem here?

If anybody is interested in seeing a short video of testing the dust skirt on a few thicknessing toolpath runs, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAu_hyw22Q

Doug

STEPCRAFT 2/840 CNC machine with 4th axis, TurboCAD V19.2 Pro Platinum, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC. Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery).
Doug

Return to Gallery