My first V6 parts

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

My first V6 parts

Postby Randy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:58 am

Just a couple little pieces from aluminum, 2-side machined. The left one has a lofted surface, going from a rounded-corner square to a circle, and the right one is a little parabolic reflector. The only non-V6 machining step was the quickie, rough facing of the rear of the left-hand part.

P1060086a.jpg
P1060086a.jpg (508.11 KiB) Viewed 9758 times

P1060087a.jpg
P1060087a.jpg (494.63 KiB) Viewed 9758 times

They are for a replica prop blaster for my daughter, who is going to the "Gallifrey One" Doctor Who convention in Los Angeles next week.

P1060050a.jpg
P1060050a.jpg (307.63 KiB) Viewed 9758 times

I machined all the acrylic parts (everything that is not the Nerf gun grip and the little styrene strips on the "sight") using MeshCAM V5. Here is a breakdown of the parts, each a single piece.

exploded.JPG
exploded.JPG (69.02 KiB) Viewed 9758 times

The lower front piece took 5 setups--top, bottom, left, right and front. Most of the other pieces took at least 3 setups. Only the central vertical frame was less than 2-sided.

The above picture was during the trial dry-fit earlier in the week (before the aluminum detail parts, which I'll add after painting). I'm doing final assembly tonight, and painting tomorrow.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Re: My first V6 parts

Postby ArchieF » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Randy,

nice work especially the acrylic parts.

Just for interest : which software do you use for designing the parts? Is the 3D view made with it ?

Richard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Postby Randy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Thank you, Richard. I have Alibre 11 at home, but the screenshot was from an import to SolidWorks at work. I have been working before work, at lunch time at work, after work, sometimes until 2AM the past 2 weeks to get this done. I started far too late!

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby tgdavies » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:01 am

Very nice Randy -- I'd be interested in photos of your work holding setups for the multi sided parts -- and how do you align the parts?

I have tried two-sided machining but have yet to get better than about 0.1mm consistency between the two sides. I have tried both a dial test indicator in the spindle (which I found very fiddly), and a web cam (the latter seems promising -- I've just machined an extension which allows it to focus close enough to get 0.017mm/pixel, and I think I can get closer)

https://plus.google.com/110500854135480 ... aaTe1QBRSD (the mounting for the webcam and the extension were both done on MeshCAM, of course)
tgdavies

Postby Randy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Thank you, Tom. I don't have any photos, but just use what is most convenient for the individual part. For the two aluminum pieces, I used a piece of aluminum ("spoilboard") clamped in my vise that I flycut flat just before I machined the workpieces. I just clamped my rawstock onto the spoilboard for the first side machining. I drilled dowel pin holes flanking the workpieces into the top surface of the stock, and after I machined the first side I unclamped the stock and drilled corresponding dowel pin holes in the spoilboard to re-align the stock for the second side machining.

But most 2-sided pieces, I accurately square up the rawstock to the overall size of the piece, then clamp in the vise on parallels and use either an end stop, or sometimes just use the side of the fixed vise jaw as a reference (hold a parallel up against it and slide the workpiece against the parallel). I'm not usually worried about a thou or two mismatch--usually just the differing cutter deflection between sides will be more than that. But usually, the mismatch is barely what I can feel with a fingernail.

So that's basically a macro adapter you made for your webcam, isn't it? Really neat.

Randy
Randy

Postby tgdavies » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:56 am

Yes, it's like an extension tube -- just moves the lens further away from the 'film plane'.

Here's the latest screenshot from the application I use with the camera: https://plus.google.com/110500854135480 ... 2jG3asEzEe
tgdavies

Return to Gallery