My stuff

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

My stuff

Postby DangerousR6 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:00 am

Just a few parts I've done...
I mostly do guitar parts, but I've made all sorts of other stuff, motorcycle parts, gun parts....etc
And you can't tell from the last pic, but the "W" is actually cut following the surface of the bridge cover. Ya, that was tricky.... :mrgreen:
DangerousR6

Re: My stuff

Postby Randy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Wow. Just wow. What beautiful work, DangerousR6! Thank you for posting the pictures. What material is that bridge cover? Is it plated or just polished metal?

I would be very interested to hear how you did the W on the curved surface. My milling machine (Tormach) uses Mach3, and there is a not-too-well-known capability to transform gcode coordinates based on equations. I've only used it to map Z of a flat engraving onto a spherical surface.

I see from Unofficial Warmoth (yeah, I did a Google image search on your bridge cover which led me there--I'm neither a guitar builder or player but I love reading about any kind of fabrication :) ) that you use SolidWorks. I do too in my day job, and I know how to project a sketch onto a general surface, but I don't know how to take the resultant curve and make gcode (much less a linearly-traced path) out of it.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby DangerousR6 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks Randy, I do a lot of custom neck plates for Warmoth forum members and all sorts of other guitar parts, as well as my own guitar parts. The bass bridge cover was a special request from a Warmoth member. It's an off the shelf cover, I just cut the "W" logo on the top, it's just chromed mild steel. I do use SolidWorks, I also use Surfcam, MasterCam, TurboCad, PartMaster, and just recently got Cubify Invent. Which is a lot like SolidWorks. But to do the "W" on the curved surface, first I digitized the surface of the bridge cover, then I created the surface in solidworks and extruded the W to the surface then save it as a STL file for Meshcam. Then just do a pencil cut around the W in Meshcam. My machine I have uses Mach3 also, Meshcam creates the g code and I just save the post and load on my machine.
I also lie to Meshcam about the tool size to get a tighter cut to the actual extruded letter. for example if I'm cutting with a .125 ball nose, I tell meshcam it's a .0625 ball nose..
DangerousR6

Postby Randy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Oh, that is brilliant, DangerousR6. I've been trying to make a groove work, but you are using the perimeter of a bump. A virtual smack to my forehead!

It's those little glitches in the pencil path that still bug me. And they have been subject of several discussions here. I wish Robert could fix them. I've gone so far as to hand-edit the gcode in the past to keep the cutter down on the surface.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby DangerousR6 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Ya, I had the same issue had to adjust the gcode and take out some z moves to keep the tool down. Just updated to build no. 29 and was testing it out to see if there were any changes, and it looks like he got the pencil cut problem worked out..
DangerousR6

Return to Gallery