Impressed with 1/8 2 flute endmill and meshcam

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Re: Impressed with 1/8 2 flute endmill and meshcam

Postby jbaker42 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 pm

I think I may have forgotten to preface that I don't actually work with wood, so my advice is only from what I've read.
Straight router bits may work for you. I think there are also down-spiral endmills for wood. Both should reduce tearing, but you may have to drop your feeds or depth due to the reduced chip clearing.
jbaker42

Postby jm82792 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:05 am

What did you use for generating the shape?
I've played around with generating images in GIMP, then displacing mesh,
procedural textures in Blender, and a few other things.... Did you use a procedural mesh generator or such?

For roughing out your work a 2 spiral O flute bit works great, even the Diablo bits from homedepot work well but don't last as long as the Onsrud bits.
I don't like the straight bit, they can't be fed as quick.
For finishing I'd buy one of these, mine has 10 hours of use and it's still going strong.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150947381432
Judging by your detail, a 1/4" with .02" to .024" stepover will leave a great finish.
I'd rough with a 1/4" and leave like .02" to .08" depending on how much tearout the roughing gives you.
A downspiral bit does give better finish but it's been a while since I've used one so I can't remember if it was dramatically better.
jm82792

Postby cnczane » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 am

Chris,

I am floored by how beautiful these simple things are.

And I keep telling myself, they "shouldn't be..."

Very nice. Very surprising. Gives me hope.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Ceenz
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Postby cnczane » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:56 am

The machine hasn't faltered yet so I'm thinking of bumping it up to 350 or 400 IPM. Very happy with the results.

<sensing impending heart attack>

My home-built will "do" 60ipm at 200% override UNLESS that happens to be a rapid. That is, if I'm doing "ordinary" 0.01"-long G01 traverses, it'll handle "120ipm." (But command G00 at 120ipm? Loses steps...)

Anythehoo, WHAT in the WORLD machine do you have that you can casually talk about "bumping" to 400ipm??? I want to buy one.

Or did you build it yourself? Idon'tcareIstillwanttobuyone...

Let's see some of your latest hijinx.
--
C. Z. Ane.
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Previous

Return to Gallery