USGS map: WI_DevilsLakeSP

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Re: USGS map: WI_DevilsLakeSP

Postby cnczane » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I gotta think if you'd make less stuff that went around in circles it would have to help...

Are there rules of thumb for deciding on?
- endmill
- ball endmill
- bulletnose endmill

Is one the workhorse?

Thanks.
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Postby robgrz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 am

For curvy/organic parts use a ball mill. For flat spots use an endmill. If you have deep pockets on the part and don't have vertical walls, use a tapered mill. Tapered mills have a longer reach and are more durable. For the work I often do, a 1/16" tapered ball mill (with about a 1.5 degree taper) is my favorite. They cost about $30-40 but they are fairly durable.

Bull mills combine the best of both ball and end but I've never actually needed to use one.

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby cnczane » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:15 am

Given how many newbies come around here, this good info ought to be on a sticky. Now however--thanks to my ingenious interviewing techniques--it'll be part of the search results.

Thank you very much.
--
"They call him The CNC Zane"
(if they call him at all)
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Postby robgrz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:25 am

I have a document about half-done on this but I hate writing so I've never finished it.

I did have good intentions though...

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby Gerry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:42 pm

I've yet to spring for the tapered ballnose, but they are very popular, and allow deep cutting, as Robert says.

I've been using ballnose tools exclusively with MeshCAM, 1/8 and 1/16 diameter. I also have some 1/32, but haven't used them yet.

The main issue, is that there's a tradeoff. Time vs Finish quality. I prefer quality, and tend to use 5%-8% stepovers, and get glass smooth results. Keep in mind that you can be looking at many, many hours, even at 200+ipm feedrates. Depending on how small the details are, you can try going with a larger tool, which allows the use of a larger stepover, while still achieving very good finish quality. But you may be sacrificing detail.
Gerry

Postby cnczane » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 am

Coming back here after a couple of years, and scaring the number of one hundred models under me belt, I can say that I've DEFINITELY settled on, for white pine, and occasional cherry:

Rough: 1/2" 2-flute spiral chipbreaker (flat) endmill, 0.4375" stepover, 0.15" depth-per-pass, 3D climb, 11-12.5krpm, 20-30ipm

followed by

Finish: 1/8" 2-straight-flute (Freud 18-100) roundnose, 0.015" stepover, ~0.05" depth-per-pass, mostly parallel, sometimes 3D climb, 11-12.5krpm, 60-120ipm

to get results I am proud of.

Just puttin' the cherry on top.
cnczane

Previous

Return to Gallery