Diesel Engine Rocker Box

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

Diesel Engine Rocker Box

Postby ennech » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:55 pm

This is the use of Meshcam to manufacture the foundry pattern and core box to produce a rocker box for a 2 cylinder diesel engine.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=635
download/file.php?mode=view&id=636
The design of the component was completed using Alibre 3D CAD and the toolpaths were created using Meshcam 4.
The pattern and corebox were machined on a 3D router machine using Ebaboard polyurethane modelling board.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=637
A batch of castings were cast in aluminium (aluminum).
The castings were machined on a milling machine, the top face being ininitially machined flat and partialy polished prior to machining the logo.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=638&sid=ee06933ea37cf059dc6ec018f2e5c4e8d
download/file.php?mode=view&id=639
Attachments
Rocker Box.jpg
Completed Item
Rocker Box.jpg (705.56 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
DSCI0002.JPG
Machining Logo
DSCI0002.JPG (927.84 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
CNC Router.jpg
CNC Router
CNC Router.jpg (633.53 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
Core Box 2.jpg
Core Box
Core Box 2.jpg (357.67 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
Pattern 1.jpg
Pattern
Pattern 1.jpg (488.22 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
ennech

Re: Diesel Engine Rocker Box

Postby Randy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Thank you for posting the pictures, Eric! We have a similar tooling board here in the US called "Renshape". It looks like you painted the surrounding part of the patterns with gray paint. Is there a specific purpose for that?

Did you use MeshCAM also for machining the Gardner logo?

BTW I had to look up Gardner. It looks like they made some classic engines.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby ennech » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Randy,
Thanks for your comments.
The only painting I did was the orange and black, not really necessary but just to make them look authentic ;)
The grey you see is the actual board colour.
The machining of the Gardner logo was done with Sheetcam (horses for courses).
Yes Gardner was an old established engine manufacturer here in Uk but sadly no longer with us. Their big thing was diesel engines for double deck buses.
The particular engine this rocker cover is for was originally designed in the 1930's and was in production until the 1960's. They were mainly used in mines in South Africa but now many have been brought back and converted for use in canal boats here.
ennech

Postby Randy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 am

I also use SheetCam also for my 2.5D work (much of the time in conjunction with MeshCAM, as you have done). MeshCAM can do 2.5D work, but Les has optimized SheetCam for 2.5D as much as Robert has optimized MeshCAM for 3D. SC ramps between layers, for example, which is its own challenge. And I drill with a self-written macro from my 2D CAD program, prefering that to SheetCam's drilling. As you say, horses for courses. :)

Interesting about painting the patterns. I had a mistaken view, because the tooling board I have used is often honey color itself (or a light blue...)

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Return to Gallery