First attempt at art

Gallery of projects completed with MeshCAM

First attempt at art

Postby davidmb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 am

This is my first attempt at art, the model was made up as an stl file and then processed using meshcam to produce the gcode, total machining time was just over 4 hours. Material tulip wood.

This is the model after sealing.
siren.jpg
siren.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 7983 times

After final precat laquer finish.
siren_finished.jpg
siren_finished.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 7983 times
davidmb

Re: First attempt at art

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 am

david, thank you for posting. That is a beautiful piece. No need for the "first attempt" disclaimer! :D

But I'm sorry. The first thought that came to mind was "Scarlett Johansson as Han Solo in the remake of Empire Strikes Back"... ;)

How big is the piece? What cutters and toolpath parameters did you use?

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby robgrz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

I agree with Randy, that's looks great whether it's your first or 100th piece.

Where did the CAD file come from- did you scan it or model it?

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby davidmb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:07 am

Hi Randy / Rob,

Not seen the remake of the film, perhaps I should :) , the piece is approx 4" x 13", started 2" thick, cutters used were 1/4" upcut router bit for roughing with 2mm depth of cut, 75% stepover, finishing was with a 3mm ball endmill HSS, 1.5mm stepover ( will use a smaller stepover next time to avoid having to do too much sanding ), I was using MeshCAM 2 when I did this, I have since upgraded to the latest version so I should be able to take advantage of the newer toolpath options.

The cad file was prepared using DAZ3D, it allows posing of models, export from that through MeshLab and into MeshCAM. Wish I had the model to scan, but then I wouldn't get much work done :oops: .

I'm now working on a set of five different poses, the hardest bit is painting them!
davidmb

Re: First attempt at art - update

Postby davidmb » Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Finally got around to trying some Aluminium casts from the original I machined, came out better than I imagined, now it's just a case of polishing them up and completing the oak mountings.
figure_casting.jpg
figure_casting.jpg (154.49 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
davidmb

Return to Gallery