Basic Feeds and speeds Excel sheet

General MeshCAM Questions

Basic Feeds and speeds Excel sheet

Postby madguernseyboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 am

Hi all

I have been studying this subject a bit and spent some time to make a my own Feed rate calculator.

As a quick explanation I took chip loads i found online and put them all into a table. From this I interpolated a best fit graph for each material type including slow and aggressive.
Using this you are able to calculate a feed rate for any diameter cutter.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8FnVgd2VRpAdUJwMnlIUGNYNlU

greatful for any of your opinions to help me understand a learn.

Regards
Brendan
madguernseyboy

Re: Basic Feeds and speeds Excel sheet

Postby larynx » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm

On initial view - I like what you have done. Especially since most woods are not in MOST feed/speed charts.

Unfortunately, I will not have time to dig deeper until sometime next week at the earliest. First I will add an inch/mm dropdown, I use inch for 99% of my work [archaic?].

If I decide to use this sheet - and I may due to Rob not including a comment column in the tool table as of yet [still waiting to see if it develops in V7] to assign cutters per my post in "development" section of this forum.

This sheet you started - I have been lazy keeping a book may invite me to modify it to incude real world results for various types of hardwood and others too - such as figured, quartersawn, cross cut.....allowing me a little versatility in determining possible where to start scenarios. Adding a derate for ball or other style cutters may also happen.

However, we all know wood varies due to grain tightness, saw angles,.....all that stuff. So I may just stick to paper, but I like the idea of this and you may have sparked a change.

If so, then I will post. Either way, much appreciated - the post, and it is nice to see someone share a little. This forum will only be what we make it out to be. I wish there was a way to condense some of the info in here to sticky threads that would be edited to contain only relevant info - the "how & why it is done" so we could build a manual suited to our needs other than, insert cutter, set speed, cut........oops.

As I have stated elsewhere, I just set every bit to 260ipm, 50ipm plunge, but change step/depth to what I used before that worked. Then I manually lower the feed/speed to begin and increase if all goes well to a comfort level. Again, that works just too well for me, so I do not know if I change or not to a sheet. I would still need to keep track of step/depth for each op - rough/finish/end/ball..........

The best answer to me would be for Rob to just allow me to pick the bit fro the table and provide IN THE 3d CUT menu a way to change it for step/depth for EACH operation right on the page, by overiding defaults without having to redefine a bit each time since I have no way to change step/depth [except for waterline depth] from the menu.

If nothing else you just got me to send a note to Rob about that. Thanks for the push.
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Re: Basic Feeds and speeds Excel sheet

Postby madguernseyboy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 am

Hi larynx

I can’t tell you how pleased I am with your message. I am sure with a few comments we can make some simple changes.

The whole idea for this spreadsheet came recently as I have a future job making a clock using a 1.5mm router cutter for plywood. I too had been just guessing feed rate and going by the sound. Which for 99% of what I do has been fine so far. However with a cutter so small I need to be a tad bit more accurate so I don’t break them.

I just added the some charts to the sheet to help explain the idea. I can have a look at adding a metric/Imperial drop box today (Done - link should have updated). As for feeds and speeds that has been a big issue for me there is a lot online that mixes up the units. It can get confusing over such a simple principle.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8FnVgd2VRpAdUJwMnlIUGNYNlU

If at a minimum I have started a discussion then I am happy.
madguernseyboy

Return to General