4th axis programming

General MeshCAM Questions

4th axis programming

Postby kenre » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 am

Hi , I have a rather tricky , well manually intensive, job i would like to move to my little cnc mill.

Its a 2 stroke cylinder liner. Currenty machining the ports in manually using a dividing head. Liners are held at an angle to complicate things.

Ive been using Meshcam with Mach 3 for many years. Im hoping someone here knows how to trick meshcam into constant rotation.
They need to rotate several degrees, move along x axis, then rotate back, move x axis etc. basically cutting a window, thats offset from the centreline , them move y axis to do another port.
kenre

Re: 4th axis programming

Postby larynx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:19 pm

I don't have a solution, but several questions that may help others or myself understand.

Is this mini-mill 4-axis? Is the purpose of liner rotation to machine the outer edges at the correct intake/exhaust angle edge of ports to match to...or for reeds? You could use a waterline path if the assumptions are correct and let the piece fall out [rag in the liner so it does not damage the other side when it falls]. So you wish to machine at edge of port, start one side and progress "line-by-line" to the other side as in a conventional tool path in MeshCAM.

BUT, sounds like not a 3d job but a cut only from existing that is NOT modeled for bore "+" so sounds like a hand written g-code to your CAM program IF CAMMED. Perhaps you already found the best solution based on the parameters? Sometimes things are just what they are.....not the wished for answer, but maybe the best one?

Would be interested in your final approach and a few details about part, along with some pics if possible. Always interested in such job machining, not asking for CAD, CAM or other files, just an overview as interesting topic.

Things become more complicated without Randy around. I hope he is doing well. I guess it is up to everyone on the forum to start kicking in.
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Re: 4th axis programming

Postby larynx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:22 pm

After I hit post - I thought:

I guess it should be stated, you posted 4th axis program - but that could be table or head movement, which is why I asked.

Maybe a slotting program is better suited than MeshCAM too? I don't know.......anyone?
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Return to General