Meshcam got hanged while generating toolpath

General MeshCAM Questions

Meshcam got hanged while generating toolpath

Postby shaiwal Rawat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi,
I am newbie to CNC.
I have STL file (Size 102Mb).
Kindly find the attach file related to MeshCam settings.
Kindly suggest. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
meshcam.jpg
Mesh
meshcam.jpg (119.27 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Setting.jpg
Meshcam Setting
Setting.jpg (218.97 KiB) Viewed 492 times
shaiwal Rawat

Re: Meshcam got hanged while generating toolpath

Postby Randy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi shaiwal, and welcome to the forum. I don't see anything really wrong with your settings. How long are you allowing MeshCAM to run? What kind of computer is it and how much memory do you have?

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby larynx » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:07 pm

- Reply - Randy

Randy, I am stumped a little based on his post and your reply. Please enlighten me - you always do.

How can the "settings" be deemed correct when I do not see any stock dimensions depicted [did I miss them?] What I mean is, if the machining dimensions are smaller or tools are bigger than the details, then nothing would cut - correct? So the settings may appear ok, but based on reference to the work piece may not - correct?

Perhaps I just missed something?
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Postby Randy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Good questions, larynx. I did assume that the stock definition was appropriate (not fiddling with the default stock settings is always safe). That said, the machining margin is positive and about 3.5mm which will result in the whole geometry being machined, and .5mm stepovers and stepdowns would not be out of line even for geometry of 500mm large. But you are correct in pointing out I should have asked the geometry size and stock settings to be sure.

In my experience, hanging while generating the toolpath is a result of using up all the PC memory due to the stepover/stepdown being very small relative to the geometry size. When I saw the .5mm stepovers I was not worried about that. On geomertry like this plaque, waterline also is not an appropriate toolpath and will also hang MeshCAM. But there is only roughing and parallel finishing so that looks good too. For this kind of workpiece (relief on a surface) even if the tool was much larger than the details, it would still generate the parallel path--it would just bridge over the smallest details (basically a mechanical high-pass filter).

Shaiwal, don't worry about the demo running out. I see that there were 4 days remaining 4 days ago, but Rob is good about extending the demo license when you need it so just send him an email asking for an extension.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Return to General