How to learn MeshCam?

General MeshCAM Questions

How to learn MeshCam?

Postby Mitch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 am

Where to find "getting started" with MeshCam?
Where to find an in depth resources to learn MeshCam?

There are some scattered info (emails, built in help, etc.) but these do not allow me to learn from zero. I think I may like MeshCam but for now I hate it, my licenced copy is idle.
I can not learn the way I normally learn a new skill; from "A to Z".

My frustration with MeshCam was so great that I had to buy Vectric software which are user friendly and have tons of correctly set learning material to allow me to start cutting, engraving and be happy! [Nomad 883 Pro]. Thanks
Mitch

Re: How to learn MeshCam?

Postby ArchieF » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 am

Hi Mitch,

some informations you might find here :
http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/categories/how-to/

Richard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Postby larynx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:31 pm

You may also wish to check out http://www.grzsoftware.com/users/2d/

This will further define 2d cuts - the information overlap may reinforce what is in the other post by Richard.

All told, there are several short "write ups" or "tutorials" across the web and this forum which you can search and they have provided a wealth of useful information more in depth for me than any other source. There is a lot of simple & advanced uses questioned and answered in the forum. If you use any cut software, MeshCAM should not be confusing, they all generally do the same thing. Yes, options and other such as flow may be different, but MeshCAM can be simple, start by loading a file, stl as a 3d, if it is a DXF 2d file MeshCAM will not let you proceed unless you enter a height or accept the default 1.000" thickness, the file will load [IF the file is good - but you appear to have files that run in other programs so that should not be an issue], then click each button in order in the Toolpath menu, and see what applies or not. That is A-Z. Most menus are fairly self-explanatory. Whatever you click and accept is applied once "ok" or "next" is clicked. Anything you then see in the display, if not to your liking can be redone. It may not sound "university" but play and you will learn a lot. Most options will be fine with default values. You still need to pick tools and such, but your post alludes to the fact you use other software - this should not be new.

I find that sometimes I use NC-Corrector to look over my toolpaths with nothing else in the way on the screen. Advanced use of this free downloadable tool, I am not aligned or in any way associated with the author or program, it is free and I use it, anyway, advanced use allow modification of gcode visually or editing the text with screen updates of the toolpath edit. You can see toolpaths in MeshCAM once calculated, NC-Corrector goes a little further. Sometimes I use it on multiple MeshCAM outputs on the same object to verify I selected the same origin for the cuts, often I have five differing bits and cut sets on the same piece and this allows me to load and see the cuts and check the position & overall look - one step further than looking at the gcode file itself.

Without details about your specific issue it is hard for anyone to help. I did - first time ever - go to the NOMAD, Carbide sites and it seems there is a lot of info available there - check it out.

http://carbide3d.com/docs/tutorials/

I am not aligned with nor do I have anything to do with MeshCAM other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Postby Mitch » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 pm

ArchieF wrote:Hi Mitch,

some informations you might find here :
http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/categories/how-to/

Richard

Thank you Richard
This is the problem for me to learn MeshCam; some info here and there scatted here and there.
The CNC faculty is a new addition to my woodworking hobby. It is frustrating to learn from bits and pieces without previous experience.
Michael
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 am

larynx wrote:You may also wish to check out http://www.grzsoftware.com/users/2d/

This will further define 2d cuts - the information overlap may reinforce what is in the other post by Richard.

All told, there are several short "write ups" or "tutorials" across the web and this forum which you can search and they have provided a wealth of useful information more in depth for me than any other source. There is a lot of simple & advanced uses questioned and answered in the forum. If you use any cut software, MeshCAM should not be confusing, they all generally do the same thing. Yes, options and other such as flow may be different, but MeshCAM can be simple, start by loading a file, stl as a 3d, if it is a DXF 2d file MeshCAM will not let you proceed unless you enter a height or accept the default 1.000" thickness, the file will load [IF the file is good - but you appear to have files that run in other programs so that should not be an issue], then click each button in order in the Toolpath menu, and see what applies or not. That is A-Z. Most menus are fairly self-explanatory. Whatever you click and accept is applied once "ok" or "next" is clicked. Anything you then see in the display, if not to your liking can be redone. It may not sound "university" but play and you will learn a lot. Most options will be fine with default values. You still need to pick tools and such, but your post alludes to the fact you use other software - this should not be new.

I find that sometimes I use NC-Corrector to look over my toolpaths with nothing else in the way on the screen. Advanced use of this free downloadable tool, I am not aligned or in any way associated with the author or program, it is free and I use it, anyway, advanced use allow modification of gcode visually or editing the text with screen updates of the toolpath edit. You can see toolpaths in MeshCAM once calculated, NC-Corrector goes a little further. Sometimes I use it on multiple MeshCAM outputs on the same object to verify I selected the same origin for the cuts, often I have five differing bits and cut sets on the same piece and this allows me to load and see the cuts and check the position & overall look - one step further than looking at the gcode file itself.

Without details about your specific issue it is hard for anyone to help. I did - first time ever - go to the NOMAD, Carbide sites and it seems there is a lot of info available there - check it out.

http://carbide3d.com/docs/tutorials/

I am not aligned with nor do I have anything to do with MeshCAM other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]

Thank you so much for your great response
Michael
Mitch

Postby Doug » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Mitch.

As far as I'm aware, there is no "in depth" resource to learn MeshCAM. I appreciate that this is frustrating and the initial learning curve for people new to CAD, CAM and CNC is very steep. I got there though and have used MeshCAM to generate some complex, long 2.5D and 3D toolpaths.

You really have to find some examples of people who have done the same or similar projects to yourself and find out what parameters they used then experiment a bit from there. Once I got started and overcame some newbie incorrect assumptions, I am relatively satisfied with MeshCAM.

Doug
STEPCRAFT 2/840 CNC machine with 4th axis, TurboCAD V19.2 Pro Platinum, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC. Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery).
Doug

Return to General