Functions in menu Translate Geometry don't work on OSX

Discussions relating to MeshCAM development

Functions in menu Translate Geometry don't work on OSX

Postby Joost » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi,

I'm new on this forum, and already working with MeshCAM 6 for OSX for almost a year.
Often I run into the same bug. I think it would be good if it can be fixed.

The functions in menu
1) Make geometry positive X and Y
2) Make center of part zero
3) Make top of part zero
4) Make bottom of part zero
5) Make center of part zero

don't do anything in MeshCAM 6 build 26 for OSX.
I always need to enter the custom values for x,y,z translation; these do work.

Is this a know problem? Can it be fixed?

Thanks and best regards,
Joost
Joost

Re: Functions in menu Translate Geometry don't work on OSX

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi Joost, and welcome to the forum. I'd suggest emailing Rob directly at the MeshCAM support email with your observations. I don't have a way to test on OSX myself.

But I must say I never use the translate options, even in Windows. Since MeshCAM defines the stock relative to the geometry, and (by default) sets the gcode origin relative to the stock, there is not much reason to move the geometry to the origin first. But if I need the gcode origin (Program Zero) in a specific place relative to the geometry, I export the geometry placed relative to the CAD origin, and then select Set to Geometry Zero when I'm defining the Program Zero.

Is there a specific reason you want to place the geometry before you define the stock around it?

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Joost » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your quick reply.
To be honest, I never really noticed that that MeshCAM sets the gcode origin relative to the stock. I always placed the CAD drawing at the coordinates I would like to see in the gcode. Just to be sure. Now I tested your comment, and indeed, with or without translation, by default, MeshCAM generates the same gcode. I use MeshCAM with a home built router, and I still need to learn a lot about CAD/CAM. But I am getting there ;-)

So for now, thanks for your help, my direct problem is solved. Still the translation bugs remain of course. I'll write an email to Rob about that.

Thanks,
Joost
Joost

Postby Randy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:50 am

You're welcome, Joost. It took me several years to sort out what was important in MeshCAM, and what I could just work around, and what didn't really matter...

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Return to Development