MeshCAM 1 Beta 5 screenshot

Discussions relating to MeshCAM development

MeshCAM 1 Beta 5 screenshot

Postby Randy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:00 am

Just for a blast from the past, here is a screenshot of the earliest version of MeshCAM that I have. Robert distributed the pre-version 1 betas as passworded zip files (a fact I had forgotten) and I recently ran across the zips on an old backup CD-ROM from 2005. Here's a screenshot (it's big, so you might need to right-click and select "view image" (or whatever the non-Firefox equivalent is)).

Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (90.54 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

The user had to tell MeshCAM how finely to mesh the input STL so it could make a height map. Interestingly though, the max depth input was a slider, with a realtime depth limit plane shown on the screen.

No matter how far MeshCAM has yet to go (and I think it will be very far :) ), Robert has brought it a long way already...

Clarification for the record: My backup disk was from 2005. Beta 5 is from July 2003.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Re: MeshCAM 1 Beta 5 screenshot

Postby ArchieF » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:26 pm

The earliest version I found here was V1.18.

Lot of enhancements since the year 2005 this version is dated.

No matter how far MeshCAM has yet to go (and I think it will be very far :) ), Robert has brought it a long way already...

You were right Randy .

Interestingly though, the max depth input was a slider, with a realtime depth limit plane shown on the screen.

That's a feature I'd like to have back (if possible)

Richard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Re: MeshCAM 1 Beta 5 screenshot

Postby robgrz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Wow- that screenshot makes me shudder. I mentioned finding an old version a year ago but that's an even older one. I totally forgot about the Rhino-inspired text command entry bar at the top and that very early toolpath window.

Oddly, I remember the zip files password very well, "mcb1". Not sure how that stuck in my head for 9 years.

-Rob
robgrz
Site Admin

Return to Development