My Top 3 Suggestions / Requests.

Discussions relating to MeshCAM development

Re: My Top 3 Suggestions / Requests.

Postby cnczane » Tue May 13, 2014 3:11 pm

RobertCNC,

Metoo on the slower first, full-depth, full-slot, speed. I used to have to babysit, and finally just changed my designs to Never have a full-depth full-slot.

I too would like to Name the tools to something rational. I'd like to see a text file like the one defining posts that gets read-in on startup.

My workaround is to "code" the names in the numbering with the initial number (1-9) being a tool "type" and the remaining numbers being the tool diameter; e.g., 105000 is a half-inch endmill and 201250 is an 1/8-in roundnose: 9nnnnn could be for "specialty" bits, etc.
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Postby ArchieF » Wed May 14, 2014 12:10 am

@Magweb:

Fine indexing with the 4th axis I tried to show some time ago here :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420

Calculated it with 36 sides so there are more than 1 x-axis moves.

Richard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Postby Stevos758 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:39 pm

RobertCNC wrote:To all:

Feel free to add your top 3 wish list with the most important feature at top.

My request:

First of all, I’m very happy with MeshCAM. But I think it can use a few features which would strongly improve the program and it’s G-code. Because most of us are hobby or semiprofessional users, most of us don’t have the sturdiest machines to mill things like aluminum in an efficient manner. I think the following will improve that…

1) Ramping. This means plunging is combined with XY movement. Most end mills work better this way and thus it will lower stress levels on the machine.
2) Full slot speed. I also really would like to see an option to do a full slot at a percentage of the set feed rate. This would make it possible to machine at higher speeds when the router isn’t milling a full slot.
3) Plunge safety distance. This would make plunges so much faster because you can plunge full speed until the safety distance and continue at the set plunge rate.

And yes, secretly I have a 4th wish although less important:

4) Tool names. Until now I’ve worked with tool codes instead of tool names and a separate text file which explained the tool names. So it’s doable, but it can be easier.

Thank you for the good work! ;)
Robert

If all of these 4 things were added I would be a very happy camper!

The would help my workflow out greatly!
Stevos758

Postby mzahor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:03 pm

My +

-> Tools [ tool names or note ]
-> 4axis continous
mzahor

Postby larynx » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:26 pm

First, I am new to MeshCAM - still waiting for my license email - am on my last day of Trial.

But I can state I already realize a few things that would make it easier - at least for me - and it appears others that have used MeshCAM a lot longer than I wish for some of the same items.

SO - this is a rehash, but I guess important enough to "second those emotions" [was a song something like that I remember a long time ago]:

PER darren » Sat Mar 08, 2014

1a. It would be great if the tool list were available anywhere, preferably as a menu item
1b. Make it possible to re-order the tools in the list
1c. Add additional data to the tool list; e.g. names, materials, roughing/finishing, etc.

And I'll add a couple of no name columns as 1, 2, 3 ... if that's all we can get to allow me to reference a tool for various purposes, feeds and ...... dependent upon material - reference it still is

1d. Include this tool metadata as comment lines in the GCode...[]....helpful when you get to a tool change instruction, and instead of a tool number, you can see more descriptive tool information
1e. The ability to export the tool list would be very handy.

For me so I can set the same in [OK] LinuxCNC

PER Gerry » Fri Feb 28, 2014

1) Operation Tree or Manager, allowing the combining and ordering of multiple operations.

That would be nice and if there was a way to save them individually - like the roughing, but use a different finishing [cause I change my mind on what I like] or vice versa or versa vice......and reuse them on other jobs

PER RobertCNC

1) Ramping. This means plunging is combined with XY movement. Most end mills work better this way and thus it will lower stress levels on the machine.

Anyway - I did not realize the tab key would post and not shift me - so I am posting again with this to my own post......kinda been there done that but wrong most likely.

Jimmy
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Postby Randy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Jimmy, hello and welcome to the forum. I do hope that Rob can come back and give MeshCAM some concentrated development time. The past year or so, he's been very involved with the Carbide3D startup. And with the Nomad machine being tied so closely to MeshCAM I have a feeling that will be an influence going forward with MC. Actually, with the fairly low spindle torque available with the Nomad, that might be an impetus for Rob to work on ramping... :)

I think that I might take some time myself and compile a summary of the recent requests and problems from the last year+ in one place to email to Rob. I don't know how much time he's had to carefully read the forum.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Doug » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Randy wrote:1. Access the tool table without setting up a dummy run (currenlty the only way to access tools is through the Toolpath Parameters dialog).
Randy

+1 for that. I can't understand why it isn't possible to set up a toolbox separately to a toolpath operation.
STEPCRAFT 2/840 CNC machine with 4th axis, TurboCAD V19.2 Pro Platinum, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC. Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery).
Doug

Previous

Return to Development