MeshCAM 7 Beta 4 unworkable issue

Discussions relating to MeshCAM development

MeshCAM 7 Beta 4 unworkable issue

Postby larynx » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:01 pm

I loaded a dxf 2d file and set depth [cutting shapes from plywood] and everything worked - allowed me to complete a setup

I then went back and attempted to use "include/exclude" regions [exclude specifically] to designate where my clamps would be located

BETA 4 - when attempting to use exclude regions the screen will not allow me to zoom out from the MeshCAM defined stock border - which means I have no way to exclude a region to the upper left as the "regions" dialog box covers this area. With no way to zoom out as in v6 there is no way to exclude the corner. Of course - not being able to zoom for the other corners is also a very large issue. This coupled with the not available "import dxf" include/exclude regions as in v6 makes this unworkable in real life.

If I am in error - please correct me. I found this by loading a file that for the most part fills the "stock" area of the screen almost completely in width/height - including under the pop-up dialog box.
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Re: MeshCAM 7 Beta 4 unworkable issue

Postby Randy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:39 pm

larynx, I don't think MeshCAM has ever allowed zooming/panning when setting supports or regions. I know it does a top-down view fixed to the stock size when adding supports. But I've only used through V 6 and I might be wrong about the regions. I'll check this evening or tomorrow.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby larynx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Randy,

I often use the "exclude region" just to pick an area not to machine - basically using it to create supports. I usually make my supports in CAD, and they are part of my files and I create a very specific support where it is easy to remove after cutting is complete and least likely to impact anything that must match surface wise. But when I forget, or perhaps am lazy then I use the exclude area to create "supports". That is what I tried in the Beta, I try to use it when whatever I am doing is not critical.

I have not been too successful using MeshCAMs "supports" feature - since one of my issues has been that they do not always show up on my display for me to see - unless it is "my problem" AND THAT could very well be, I'll bet that is the case. I will need to take the time to further test them and open the saved cut files in NC Corrector or MeshLAB and check out whether they are actually part of a saved cut file. I do not like using any feature or whatever without becoming very familiar with it - or at least trying to become familiar with it.

As to the zooming feature, I would have to move the dialog box out of the way or do something else when I did try since the display kept zooming back to sort of an "extents" display. In V6 I can select a region tool and then zoom out so I can see more real estate and pick my areas.

The still annoying no way to import dxf include/excludes sees me falling back to V6 most of the time. I do - in my own mind - think the missing include/exclude dxfs is just a BETA thing, and do believe Rob will fix it :?

As a side note, this forum is getting a little too quiet. Wonder if that's because everyone is happy and working, or
I am not aligned with nor do I have any relationship with MeshCAM or its staff other than being a user [that sounds a little like I have a dependency problem]
larynx

Postby Doug » Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 am

larynx wrote:As a side note, this forum is getting a little too quiet. Wonder if that's because everyone is happy and working, or

I agree.

Yes, in my case I'm relatively happy (with MeshCAM) and busy working (in my day/night job) and on my guitar build project.

However, if Randy stays away, some us mediumly experienced users will have to fill a huge void. :cry:

Doug
STEPCRAFT 2/840 CNC machine with 4th axis, TurboCAD V19.2 Pro Platinum, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC. Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery).
Doug

Return to Development