can Cutviewer be run as user?

General CutViewer questions

can Cutviewer be run as user?

Postby boltz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:18 pm

I just installed Cutviewer and it runs OK when I'm logged in as administrator, but won't run when I try to start it logged in as an ordinary user. It fails with a "runtime error 217 at 0006DA7F" message.

I don't like doing any production work logged in as admin for security reasons.

thanks,
-Jim Hart
boltz

Re: can Cutviewer be run as user?

Postby robgrz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:28 pm

There are a couple of registry keys that you can make read/write by everyone if you do not want to run CV in admin mode. I lost the email from Stan that had them listed so I just sent him another to try and get them one more time. I'll put them up here in the next few hours.

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby robgrz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Here they are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System – Read only
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MCVREG\CVREG2 - Read/Write (for CutViewer Mill)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TCVREG\CVREG3 - Read/Write (for CutViewer Turn)

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby boltz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Okay, although I've fired up regedit.exe and looked around I've never actually changed anything.

If I go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System (the folder containing CentralProcessor,FloatingPointProcessor, and MultifunctionAdapter), then right click on it, the permissions dialog shows 4 group or user names, and one of these is "system". Right now it's set for "full control", and I'm a bit apprehensive about changing that setting from "full control" to "read" because I don't yet fully understand what it does.

I found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MCVREG2 and that looks pretty straightforward, just highlight the user I want to run Cutviewer as and change "read" to "full control".

thanks,
-Jim Hart
boltz

Postby robgrz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:29 pm

I think that only your user would need read access. You do not need to downgrade any other users access.

By the way, I dislike this kind of thing so I just sent the Cutviewer exe to run as admin. It may not be the best way to go but it requires the minimum level of tweaking.

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby boltz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Sent email to Stan, waiting for reply.

I don't like this kind of thing either, but I've found that if I keep Windows locked down as tight as possible, it's nearly as trouble-free as my mac...

regards,
-Jim Hart
boltz

Postby robgrz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Whenever Windows starts getting funky I run Registry Booster and Autoruns to find all the hidden programs that have accumulated. I haven't had to do the "yearly reinstall" since starting that practice.

-Robert
robgrz
Site Admin

Postby boltz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Got it.

Had to reset permissions for the whole Cutviewer folder to "full control" for my user account, in addition to the registry tweaks. Not real happy about it, but from a security standpoint it beats running routinely logged in as admin by a country mile.

Next I'll try locking down individual folders and files to find the minimum permissions necessary for it to work. It sounds crazy, but since I started doing this my spyware/trojan/virus problems have been nearly nonexistent.

-Jim Hart
boltz

Return to General